Social & Culture
Discover the UK while you study with us! If you are an anglophile, a fan of history, literature or architecture, this country is the right place for you.
We at Wembley English Academy believe that familiarising yourself with British culture is an essential part of language learning. Apart from testing your knowledge in London, there are plenty of places to visit and practise your English outside the city as well to explore the rich culture of the UK and socialize. Wembley English Academy’s special recommendation includes:
- Find out why the Queen has two birthdays
- Visit the seaside for a unique British beach experience in Brighton, Bournemouth or Barafundle Bay in Wales to name a few
- Discover the charming university cities of Cambridge and Oxford
- Admire medieval and baroque architecture and immerse in history in the UK’s numerous castles, palaces and cathedrals (Windsor Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, Hampton Court Palace, Windsor Castle and so on…)
- Find out if English tea is your cup of tea
- Attend one of the UK’s famous sport events in the home of football, cricket, rugby, horse racing and golf
- While enjoying four seasons in one day, try to figure out why the English say ‘Every cloud has a silver lining’
- Order and drink a pint of bitter in a traditional pub while testing your listening skills and general knowledge as well as making friends at a pub quiz
- Taste British folklore: try to take a picture of the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland or follow the footsteps of Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest
- Practise your negotiation skills and test your shopping vocabulary at one of London’s markets or a car boot sale in the countryside http://www.carbootjunction.com/
- Familiarise yourself with the life and work of the world’s most famous writer William Shakespeare and familiarise yourself with old English by watching one of his plays in the Globe theatre or visiting his birthplace in the charming Stratford-upon-Avon
- Visit the English heritage site of Stonhenge to find out about the theories why it was built and come up with an explanation yourself
- Visit the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin to taste the famous Irish stout while training your ears to understand the Irish accent
For further ideas, please ask a member of staff at Wembley English Academy
Designed for students who want to improve all their skills to communicate more successfully in everyday situations.
Designed for students working in business organisations or aspiring to work in the corporate sector.
Ideal course for students who need an internationally recognised English qualification for study or work purposes.
A preparation course for students who wish to enter university or college in the UK.
The course provides language and study skills needed to perform in higher education in English speaking countries.
A tailor-made, personalised way of learning English that focuses on individual needs and preferred interests.