- Age: 18+
- Start dates: any Monday
- Lessons per week: part-time or full-time
- Course length: 1-48 weeks
- Maximum class size: 14 students
- Certificate: certificate of attendance is awarded on completion of course
These classes are for students who are planning to or are already attending higher education or university courses and would like to improve their English to be able to cope in those settings. As assignment writing is a crucial part of the process, various genres and skills are focused on. Students learn how to write essays, reports, literature reviews and reflections and develop their writing skills by studying the language of analysis, evaluation, discussion, description and reflection, to name a few. Plenty of practice is provided in understanding essay titles, planning, drafting, editing and proof-reading your work.
Academic reading skills are also practised to learn how to read academic articles critically and effectively. The course is aimed at developing reading strategies, such as previewing, surveying, pre-reading; using context clues and self-questioning to clarify meaning; employing critical thinking skills to distinguish fact from opinion or summarising short passages.
Grammar and vocabulary are crucial areas of producing academic work in an academic style. Students revise, recycle and extend their knowledge on tenses and verb patterns for assignment writing, prepositions and articles, a range of sentence structures including complex ones, use of modals, active and passive, structures for cohesion, use of noun phrases and more. Students will also develop their proof-reading skills, enlarge their academic vocabulary as well as learn how to use academic style and register and develop strategies to build vocabulary.
Speaking practice will focus on developing skills of argumentation and debate, how to structure a presentation, facilitate discussions and handle questions. Pronunciation practice will involve working on individual sounds, word and sentence stress and intonation, linking and weak and strong forms.
For further information, please see the syllabus.
- prepares you for successful completion of a university/college course in an English-speaking country
- develops critical thinking, reading and understanding your study materials
- extends vocabulary and improves grammar
- new ways to present your ideas and arguments both in speaking and writing
- acquire crucial note-taking and presentation skills
- comprehend, question, evaluate and produce a range of discourses
|Hours per week||6||9||15||22.5||30|
* Please note that all our classes are available subject to demand.
Designed for students who want to improve all their skills to communicate more successfully in everyday situations.
Designed for students working in business organisations or aspiring to work in the corporate sector.
Ideal course for students who need an internationally recognised English qualification for study or work purposes.
A preparation course for students who wish to enter university or college in the UK.
The course provides language and study skills needed to perform in higher education in English speaking countries.
A tailor-made, personalised way of learning English that focuses on individual needs and preferred interests.